A glance at our client list offers quick confirmation that Storage Systems Unlimited is committed to helping healthcare organizations provide safe, efficient and effective care to the communities they serve. We have established a track record of excellence, consistency and reliability in offering the best products and services to leading hospitals, health systems and industry purchasing groups.
We also believe wholeheartedly in the importance of a healthy environment—an ideal that is intertwined with our goal of healthy populations. Key to these pursuits is the concept of sustainability.
In 1987, the United Nations’ Brundtland Commission arrived at a definition of sustainability that carries a built-in challenge: “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” While that may sound simple on the surface, a look around shows that we as humans remain far from ensuring that reality. It takes hard work, intentionality and constant awareness of how our actions affect the world around us.
Awareness should permeate our structures, systems and processes, informing our day-to-day actions as well as our long-term decisions. This mindset should help guide, in no particular order (and depending on scope of work), decisions relating to areas including:
- Products and materials purchased
- Disposal of materials
- Reduction of waste and pollution
- Material reuse and recycling
- Manufacturing processes
- Product delivery
- Compliance with health, safety and environmental regulations
While Storage Systems is not a manufacturer, we are privileged to work with some of the top manufacturers for the healthcare industry. By distributing their fine products, we are not only providing healthcare organizations with the tools they need to do their jobs to the best of their abilities, but also supporting their sustainability efforts. Here are just a few examples.
- Pedigo Products, based in Vancouver, Washington, demonstrates its commitment to minimizing its impact on the planet in all it does. Its manufacturing processes emphasize reclamation, recycling and waste reduction. Its plant and offices use skylights to reduce the amount of electricity needed to illuminate the workspace. It uses environmentally friendly packing materials, vegetable-based inks, Forest Stewardship Council-certified mixed-source paper and renewable clean wind power.
- Akro-Mils’ new Earthsaver™ Series makes its popular AkroBins® and Shelf Bins available in 100% recycled plastic. These products, easy to label for quick inventory identification, are designed to boost productivity in virtually any setting, from healthcare to manufacturing, retail and distribution. Bundled with Akro-Mils’ steel and wire shelving and pick racks, they can create a complete storage and organization system supporting 5S Lean and other initiatives for reducing waste and optimizing productivity.
- Capsa Healthcare, maker of mobile computing workstations, medical carts and more, has a sustainability strategy that stresses environmental responsibility. Capsa requires all employees and managers to follow established processes aimed at minimal adverse environmental consequence; minimizing waste, pollution, and health and safety risks; and reuse and
- Metro’s storage and productivity solutions for healthcare, foodservice, science and industrial organizations reflect a commitment to environmentally friendly products and processes. For example, 100% of InterMetro’s North American manufacturing processes using stainless steel wire, tubing and sheet metal are made from recycled stainless steel metal; and 78% of its waste materials are recycled.
- Quantum Storage offers environmentally friendly Recycled Bins made of high-quality polypropylene recycled from 100% post-consumer products.
- Simplifi, which specializes in medical carts, employed a “sustainability by design” approach to creating a fleet management strategy with core design principles for modularity, scalability, flexibility, power efficiency, quality, service and cost. A key pillar of this design is the efficiency gained by using battery power as a direct source for DC-powered equipment.
- Staxi, a leading manufacturer of medical transport chairs, is committed to reducing its carbon footprint. The company has partnered with Carbonfund.org to offset all of its carbon emissions, from offices to its warehouse, and is also working to offset all carbon emissions resulting from the manufacture, transportation and delivery of its products.
Storage Systems is proud to be a distributor of products from each of these manufacturers.
Doing Our Part
Beyond working with environmentally responsible partners, Storage Systems remains vigilant for ways we can contribute to a more sustainable world. One small way we do so is by bundling orders from multiple manufacturers, when possible, in order to reduce the amount of transport needed to get products to their destination.
Storage Systems Unlimited is a leading provider of storage solutions for healthcare organizations of all sizes. We offer a multitude of storage products, including carts, shelves, containers and more. We also offer preferred pricing, planning, design, installation and project management for healthcare organization and storage systems. Want to learn more? Contact us at 1-888-614-0004 or request a quote today.